Friday, October 3, 2014

Stitch From Stash

I just came across this SAL at Epic Stitching. Its called Stitch from Stash. Its kind of like a support group for those of use who have too much stash, many UFO's and not enough money or time to do all the thing we want to do. This is actually something I've been thinking about lately, so it was kind of neat to find a SAL on that topic.

The other thing I've been thinking about is "selfish stitching." I really don't like that term because I don't think making items for yourself is selfish at all. I recently received a sad look from Jack as he watched me work on a project and a plaintive "Do you have to give all of your work away?"

The truth is, I never really thought about it. But I have given most of my finished quilts away (I couldn't let go of Anenome) and the most of rest of the projects I am working on are intended for someone else.

So here's the deal. I'm going to spend the rest of this year working on UFO's and stitching from stash, be it quilts or cross stitch. Stitching from Stash for me means that I'm only starting projects with materials already on hand and I'm going to try to finish UFOs with materials on hand. Backing fabric and batting will have to be reasonable exceptions. Oh, and garb will have to be excluded since garb material is typically not stashed.

Then, next year on Jan 1st, I will start some selfish stitching. The projects I want to start are Jack's medieval medallion quilt,



 Affairs of the Heart quilt for me


and World Travel Bookshelf cross stitch by Aimee Stewart. 

Yes, that is a cross stitch project. A very large one. Omigosh, I love all the detail in this pattern. Its like stitching a hundred different projects in one. I think the finished size is about 30" x 22". I'm psyched.

Those will be my three major projects next year. So I really need to finish at least three projects in the meantime, you know, so the UFO list doesn't grow longer. No biggie, that is only one finish per month.

Now to knock something off the UFO list. (I'm counting this as a September finish though, so I still need three before January). I finished my mod mosaic quilt. This sat for a while needing only binding because I didn't have enough of the white to finish. So today I dug through my stash and found some white-on-white snowflake fabric. Close enough!


Detail of front

Detail of back
I have named it Purple Nonsense. This one I'm going to hang on to for a bit because I found out one of Jack's cousins is expecting a new member in their family in several months and this just might be the perfect quilt for the occasion.

And last but not least, an update on Flutterby Profusion.

Before

After
I kind of feel like I'm just cranking through this one!

Okey-dokey artichokeys, what are your big plans for the New Year?

Linking up to MOP Monday

4 comments:

  1. Oh fun! I'm just about to start World Traveler myself.

    For the new years, my big plan is starting to save money. I just got a late this summer after years of unemployment and I've been buying all the stash I haven't been able to get in forever. But all the pretties are so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The World Travel Bookshelf? Saw the pic, studied it, said to myself "that is not really a cross stitch project" . . . and then read your next words . . . lol! Good luck, and I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that big cross stitch project is just amazing!! and congratulation on your finish for today! the variegated thread is just perfect!
    Thanks for linking up at MOP Monday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the variegated thread looks on your finish. May I ask where you got that cross stitch fabric with the circle on it? It's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete