Saturday, October 11, 2014

Elsa's Coronation Dress Day 1

Finding a pattern that would work for this dress was the easiest part. This is McCall's M7000.


I'll be making Anna's dress with a full length skirt, black sleeves and yoke, and the rest in that teal-ish green color.

Trying to find a color to match the movie was very difficult. A lot of the Cosplay dresses out there tend towards a more blue than green but when Cousin Maddie and I went shopping armed with photos of Elsa, we thought the dress was more green than blue.



Maddie is very particular about color so it was important that she went shopping with me and was happy with the fabric that was chosen. Our options at JoAnn's were limited; there wasn't anything even close to the right color in the Casa Special Collection fabric line, which is where I usually find exactly what I'm looking for. We ended up with a microsuede fabric called "Forest."

 I also found this photo where someone was recreating the dress with a more green fabric. (And oh boy, do I wish I had an embroidery machine to do the accents for me!)

Cosplay-Elsa’s Coronation Gown Progress by BronwynRenGypsy By fc08.deviantart.net
Today I was able to cut out all the pattern pieces.


You know, every time I think about throwing out my stash of specialty fabric scraps, something stops me. Today, I was glad I hadn't yet. I was able to pull fabric for the lining and the black velvet for the yoke and sleeves from my pile of leftovers. Bonus points!

And I started putting the bodice together.


Now I'm at a stopping point because I apparently no longer have any pink crepe backed satin, so I cannot finish the accents on the bodice or the skirt. I needed an excuse to go to JoAnn's anyway!

Linking up to MOP Monday@Tweety Loves Quilting

6 comments:

  1. Looks lovely so far Kaelyn.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is going to be so pretty. Good time to go to Joanns because they are having a sale right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks like it's going to be a perfect match with the original costume!! Congratulations!!
    And thanks for linking up at MOP Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good already and you've only just started!! I sure hope your little cousin knows how lucky she is to have you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddie is one lucky girl! You could sew for the stage Kaelyn!

    ReplyDelete