Friday, November 21, 2014

MMMM 2.3

This is the mandatory MMMM update for this week. For those of you not in "the know" Mega Mini Month Madness is hosted at Justine's Blog this month.

I am sorry to report No New Finishes. Mr. Snowman is almost done, but it hasn't been much of a crafty week so we did not quite get him finished.



Next week is pre-Turkey Day Prep, so I'm not expecting to do much then either. After Turkey Day is Vacation Day. I was thinking about setting a goal - picking one project and trying to power through it. Possibly either a couple ornaments or quilting one of my unfinished quilt tops.

Thursday, November 20, 2014

A Year In Review

It never seems like I manage to accomplish as much as I think I should have time for. My list of projects never shrinks, regardless of time invested. (Okay, partially my fault. There are just so many interesting projects out there!)

But the reality is, a lot can be accomplished in a year and a lot HAS been accomplished this year. Allow me to recount. (Be advised, this is a picture heavy post.)

I have COMPLETED five quilts this year. Two of these were a couple of my oldest quilt UFOs.





I have made FOUR items of Dagorhir Garb for Jack and me and ONE Halloween Costume for my favorite cousin.  I have made ONE item for loaner garb and THREE tunics to donate to the Dark Tide Refugees.







I have made THREE quilt tops that are ready to be sandwiched and quilted.



This one is all put together, I just don't have a recent picture.
I have completed ONE cross stitch project, stitched SIX ornaments, and advanced several more projects.

Completed!

Before

After
Before

After

New Start

New Start

Completed!

Completed!

Completed!

Completed!

Before

After

Before
After

Before
After (This is actually much further along that shown here)
I made ~17 KoA Belt Flags and FOUR scroll frame covers.





I have dealt with ~6 dental appointments and Jack breaking his thumb. I have gone on two camping vacations, took a nice weekend away at Frankenmuth for my anniversary, and went to Grand Rapids with Jack to catch a hockey game. I spent a couple weekends with my niece, had a few days with my parents when they were in town, and hung out with my friends on *most* Saturdays. I already did half of my Christmas shopping! I gave Cousin Maddie several sewing lessons. I started more quilts than I finished, gave away all my finished quilts to people who needed them, fell in love with several new cross stitch projects, and planted an apple tree.

And I still have six weeks left in the year.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Slow Stitching Sunday & November Project 144 Updates

Today is going to be a full day and I won't have much time for slow stitching. I am hoping, however, to get a little bit done during the Wings game tonight.

I was getting tired of working on the mini's, so I have been making progress on The Castle by Teresa Wentzler. I've spent a little time this week filling in the little gaps and working on the backstitching.

Before

As of 11/15/2015
I'm actually pretty close to a "page finish" on this. The top left quadrant is only missing about 40 stitches and a little backstitching.  As you can see, I did finally manage to get a picture with pretty much accurate colors.

Last night after Dagorhir "practice" i.e. social time since it was too cold to practice, I made the hood for my capelet.


I did stitch it onto the capelet...BUT... the neckline on the capelet was a little too large and so I ripped off the hood and I'll have to gather the neckline a little bit to make it all fit. Here is an approximation of how it will look when done.


 I have some vacation time coming up. Over the remaining six weeks of the year, only two are full weeks of work. (YAY!) I'm looking forward to having some dedicated crafty time. I'd like to catch up on a little housework this week so that I can relax and enjoy my vacation.

Only 11 Days until Turkey Day! Linking up to Slow Stitching Sunday @ Kathy's Quilts

Sunday, November 9, 2014

November Project 144

Today I started on my November Project 144, the fleece lined hood. I'm winging the pattern and keeping my fingers crossed.

First, I sketched out the pattern. It is twelve inches on the short side and eighteen on the long side, plus eight inches for the neck.


I calculated the neck to be 8 inches in diameter, but when I cut it out, it was larger than I wanted it to be.  I will have to adapt the hood somehow to compensate.


The fleece lining was cut out using the green piece as a pattern and then trimmed to be about an inch smaller on the outside. The lining was serged to the capelet at the neck and then the outer fabric was turned up inside to cover the edge of the lining.


 Here is how it looks from the inside, with the fleece lining stitched in.


And how it looks on my dress form. The right side is shorter because I intend to wear this while arching and do not want the hem to get tangled in my bowstring.


This is as far as I will get today on this project. In the meantime, I did finish another ornament yesterday and was able to make good progress on a few more.



Top left will be an angel, top right is a Noel with some candy, bottom left is a lighthouse and a sailboat, and bottom right is a snowman. It's been a good weekend so far. I'm off to do some laundry and some slow stitching.