Saturday, August 2, 2014

Friday Finish!

For once, I actually finished something on schedule. Okay, true, I already had the quilt top done. But the baby shower is this afternoon and the quilt is ready to go except for wrapping it up.

Can I just say first that binding a quilt is probably my least favorite task? If we had to put the binding on at the beginning of a quilt, I never would have gotten past my first quilt. I've yet to bind a quilt with one properly mitered corner and I always have to tear some of it out and restitch. This quilt would have been completed on Tuesday if I hadn't been dragging my feet on the binding. And then, because I hadn't tortured myself enough, I put the remaining binding around the label.

Anyhow, here goes:



My first attempt at framing a label. It could have come out better, but it could have come out worse. Also, this was my first attempt at using permanent fabric markers for a label and they washed and dried just fine. I did wash this quilt with Synthropol and Retayne in the hopes of permanently setting all the colors.


Stitching detail:



And a couple of artsy shots just because that is what we do with quilts:



It has been raining on and off here all week and the backyard is a mess. It is also cloudy and cranky today, so I had to take the pictures indoors. It is about time to pack this up and get it in the car.

1 comment:

  1. This is gorgeous!! Love the batiks and it looks very cuddly and inviting :) I hate binding too. . . I seem to get something wrong no matter what I do! Have you seen Sharon Schamber's binding video? It seems like a pain, but maybe you could use some of it (like how to get those corners just right, and disregard the rest... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE. I have not tried it yet, but I am going to on my next finish :)

    ReplyDelete