Tuesday, April 1, 2014

March In Review

This post will count as my 30/30 review, ALoYF Review, and NewFO review so hang on, its going to be a long ride.

So once again, I failed to complete my ALoYF monthly goal. It may be entirely possible that I'm just picking the wrong goals. Last month I said that I would like to finish quilting this quilt:


And I worked on it for all of, oh say, 15-20 minutes. It just isn't holding my interest.

That isn't to say I accomplished nothing....

I completed THREE quilt tops



I finished a tied quilt that has been hanging around for four or five-ish years,


I started my March NewFO


I started quilting Anemone and got about 2/3 of the way through before it started knotting up and breaking the thread again. I wanted to replace the needle but discovered I was all out of the correct size. But that is okay, because I learned that I can order a box of 100 sewing machine needles on Amazon. Gosh I love the internet. I'll be set for at least a couple years.



For March I'm going to try to switch gears and work on garb. I need to finish my Craftsy class on Basic Serging (which is so far an excellent class) and get serious about learning to design patterns. I also signed up for some free mini-classes on Sewing Machine Basics and things like that. I've been sewing for years but everything is self-taught and the more I look into expanding my skills, the more I realize that I need some formal instruction. For example, my sewing machine has about a dozen different feet but I've used exactly three of them. I think I'm missing some details here.

For 30/30, there was just no way I could spend 30 minutes a day this month. I was sick twice, had to take care of taxes, etc. However, I think I made up for it on the weekends (seriously, I don't think I've ever done three quilts tops in a single month before and probably never will again.) However, I want to thank Sarah at Berry Barn Designs for hosting this fantastic month long event and I really enjoyed checking out all the projects people were working on. Of the four projects I had listed for goals, I worked on two and finished neither, but I still had a good time.

I think the rest of this year is going to be about developing my skills, because there are a lot of things I want to do that I don't know how to do. Because of this I'm making finishing my Crafsty Serger Class my March Goal. It comes with three sewing projects, so I'll be able to tie in ALoYF and NewFO. Then I'd really like to get these two garb items designed an put together.



Yep, its going to be another busy month!


5 comments:

  1. Love your nine patch quilt at the top of the blog! Very colorful! Your finishes are lovely! Good luck with the thread issue! I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt tops, Kaelyn. And that tied quilt is super cute! It has been fun to quilt along with you for the 30/30. Good luck with those garment items. They sure look like a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a very productive month! Great tops, Kaelyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you certainly have no shortage of things going on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finishing all those tops is great progress for your month, Kaelyn! I hope the new needles make quick work of the rest of the quilting on your Anemone piece. Thank you so much for participating in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete