Saturday, March 29, 2014
I've spent some time sewing this week although not as much as I'd like. But I did get in some quality time learning to use my serger and finished another quilt top or two. See yesterday's post for details.
I've been playing around with EQ7 this morning. There is a quilt along called ViceVersa by GenXQuilters which swaps the background and the focus fabrics. I was kind of excited to see this because its an idea that has been hovering in the back of my mind since I started 50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars. I wanted to play around with the idea a little so I made this:
The concept works better with some blocks than others but it was fun experimenting.
As I mentioned yesterday, I wanted to start quilting Anemone. I prepped everything first thing this morning and went to start stitching - and unfortunately discovered that I couldn't use the thread I selected because the cone was too large for my sewing machine to handle. Not one to be deterred, I put on my MacGyver Thinking Hat and made my own in the space of a few minutes. I used a wire hanger, a cardboard box, and of course, duct tape!
If I was to do it over again, I would add something heavy in the box to give it more stability. It is only a temporary solution but it seems to be working well for now, as evidenced by the quilting I was able to do this morning.
I'm using my free-motion foot so things are a little shaky, but I think I'm getting the hang of this motif.