Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Grand Rapids Public Museum Baltimore Album Quilt

I was listening to the radio on the way home from work today and I heard about this new, groundbreaking study. It found that children who are taught disciplined eating habits are less likely to become obese.

Um, what? Really? I had no idea that eating habits had any sort of influence on obesity!

I cringe to think about what kind of money was spent on this, or what government grants may have funded such a conclusion . Tell you what, mysterious research company. Next time, ask me first and I'll give you the same information for free.

Now that I'm done banging my head against the wall, I thought you all might be interested in this Baltimore Album quilt I found in Grand Rapids a few weeks ago.


I do most sincerely apologize for the lousy picture. I forgot to take my camera on this trip and was left collecting photos with my phone.

It turns out the Grand Rapids Public Museum has several antique quilts in their possession, but this was the only one on display. *sad face*  It was made in the 1840's. Each of the thirteen blocks was made by a different quilter, most of which are signed.

They also had different piecing techniques on display, including a scrap from an English Paper Piecing project


Kind of cool to actually see some Quilt History. I know they've been around for a while but as much as quilting has changed, there is a lot of it that is still exactly the same. Pretty nifty!

The museum also had a special Lego exhibit.



Lego Model of the Grand Rapids Public Musuem



If I had more time, I would take up Lego-ing as a hobby. I did download the official Lego CAD program when I got home (its was free!) but I haven't had time to play with it yet. If I had a million dollars.... (those of you who don't have a BNL song now stuck in your head are missing out!)

Linking up to Let's Bee Social @ Sew Fresh Quilts!

2 comments:

  1. The lego stuff is really neat :D I used to love lego when I was a kid (but who didn't :D).

    That Baltimore Album quilt is really neat - I love that ship block. It must have been something to see in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Kaelyn! Love the quilts. And the LEGO, too! Both very creative!

    ReplyDelete