Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Weekend of New Things

I'm stuck at home right now feeling generally miserable but trying not to dwell on it. So I thought I'd write a positive post - I'm calling it my weekend of new things.

My two favorite young gentleman (5 and 4 yrs old) had their third karate class yesterday. Manda and I take them every week and they always have a great time. This week they practiced 5 or 6 new exercises. I enjoy watching the class and I have to admit, it is hard not to get up and try the karate exercises. I may look into taking a class myself soon. Then we ate lunch at Pei-Wei (I tried the black peppercorn chicken - it has asparagus! Delicious, very spicy.) and ran off to a Rock and Gem show where Rune, Riylan, and Morric of Anga Corma were demonstrating chain-mail.

Image copyright Anga Corma
Next on the list was the attempt at an alfredo sauce last night. I was trying to make Olive Garden's Steak Gorgonozla Alfredo (one of Jack's favorite meals out). Just a quick heads up everyone - if you pick up an cheese blend to make alfredo sauce, make sure its Parmesan and Romano only. Mozzarella turns your cheese sauce to glue. Thick goopy inedible glue. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of this particular disaster. It was actually kinda gross looking anyway. The steak was mostly salvageable but a couple ounces of steak a meal does not make. Jack was a good sport about it and even offered to "cook" pizza for me. One phone call later and Pizza Delivery Guy came to the rescue, yet again.

I found a sewing machine "caddy" at JoAnn's last week and thought it was a brilliant idea and wondered why I'd never heard of it before. Think an apron with pockets for your sewing machine, so that all your pins, scissors, etc are right on hand.


I really really really wanted to whip one out (along with a cathedral window pincushion) but decided to be good and finish a project I had already started first. Since I'm trying new things this weekend I pulled out my Disappearing Cube Trick wall hanging and added a binding, using Sue's Magic Binding technique that I found on "52 Quilts in 52 Weeks" I really love this, its much easier than hand-stitching a binding on and looks very nice with the two layers of color.

I also made cinnamon rolls in the waffle maker for breakfast this morning. Again, highly recommend. They don't really taste like cinnamon rolls and they don't really taste like waffles, but they take about 3 minutes to cook and that is a total win in my book. Just put the refrigerator rolls in the waffle maker and cook until done. Perfect for Ragnarok.

2 comments:

  1. Cool cubes quilt! I really need to try that binding out. What a bummer about the Gorgonzola Alfredo. I really love that entree, too. It was so nice of you to try to make it for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I'm planning on trying it again sometime in the near future. This time, without the oops!

      Delete