Sunday, June 28, 2015


This year's Ragnarok earned itself many nicknames. I've heard everything from Flood Ragnarok, Rain-narok, and Swamp-narok.

It rained on First Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday a windstorm blew through and took out three of our pop-up canopies. By Monday morning, camps at the bottom of the hill were relocating up to any available space at the top. Monday was mostly clear. Tuesday flooded.

I am talking epic proportions flooding. We camp on top of the hill and by 1 pm Tuesday afternoon when the rain finally stopped, we were under ankle deep water. The ground was so saturated that the water had nowhere to go.

Our neighbors had a verifiable lake in the middle of their campsite.

All this was at the top of the hill. At the bottom of the hill, the road next to the river was knee deep in water and flowing into the flooded river.

This is my friend Larry on the road with the river behind him.
The camps next to the river had tents waist deep in water. The portapottys were four feet under and the ground water had to be checked for safety. We were initially told not to use it and then that was revoked a few hours later.

Wednesday was shiny, so we made it out to the animal park while we could. I really do love Living Treasures Animal Park. They make everything as hands on as possible. You are allowed to pet the goats, ponies, baby zebras, kangaroos, giraffes, and the birds (and there are several more that I can't remember). In addition, you can feed just about anything in the park.

June is a great time to go because there are a lot of little baby animals being born. There were itty bitty goats that were born while we were at the park, adorable little black twins. I couldn't get a good picture because they were tucked behind a rock.

After Wednesday we had rain on and off for the rest of the week and finally gave in and packed up yesterday. Many of the camps packed up and left on Friday.  It took most of the day to pack up and Cynar braved the rain for the third year in a row to cook us steak.

I took my cross stitch projects but because of all the rain I couldn't really work on them. I did make a little progress on Butterfly Profusion, which I will post later.

This was also the first year to memory that there were days without fighting. There were no battles hosted on Tuesday or Saturday due to the weather.

We have decided to make new Ragnarok belt flags with a different symbol for every year. I will have some serious embroidery sessions up and coming.

Now it is time to rest and recover before work tomorrow. I have some serious laundry to do, as everything is covered with mud and the camp washers just didn't get things clean. I expect I will be spending most of this week cleaning up from Ragnarok because I am hosting a July 4th/Father's Day BBQ at my house this Saturday.


  1. Wow! That's a lot of water. Glad you were able to still have some fun.

  2. The commemorative belt flags sound like a really neat idea! I'm sorry the weather got so much in the way of the festival, though.