Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Raspberry Tiramasu

I made my last quilt swap block. I've been participating in this swap for a few months and although I'm enjoying it, I often find myself short on time. My swap partner requested a Depression Block which gave me lots of practice doing half square triangles.

As a bonus, I also made Raspberry Tiramasu last night! The recipe is from a Kindle book called Dolci: Simply Delicious Italian Desserts  by Daniella Malfitano. I acquired my copy through BookBub when it was on sale. (Money-saving tip: sign up for BookBub. You'll get daily emails with e-books that are on sale or are free. I usually pick up 3-5 books a week for free. No, I haven't read them all yet).

Cooking lessons learned: Marscapone cheese takes on whatever flavor you add to it. It is also a very thick cheese, so I think next time I would let it warm up to room temp before I used it. Cold Marscapone is hard to spread in an even layer.  Also the lemon flavor was a little strong, so I would probably cut back on the lemon juice a little and maybe add another tablespoon of sugar.

Raspberry Tiramasu


Ingredients

30 sponge lady fingers
1 1/4 cups cold espresso coffee
1 fresh lemon, zest finely grated and juiced
2 1/4 cups Marscapone cheese
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
3 cups fresh raspberries
3 1/2 ounces semi sweet chocolate, grated
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
  1. Line the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish with half of the ladyfingers. Brush the ladyfingers with half of the cold espresso.
  2. In medium bowl, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, Marscapone cheese, and sugar. Mix well until completely blended and smooth.
  3. Carefully spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture evenly onto the lady fingers. Scatter half the raspberries on top of the cheese and press them down gently. Sprinkle a generous amount of the grated chocolate on top. Spread another 1/3 of the Marscapone on top the the raspberries. Top with another layer of lady fingers.
  4. Brush the remaining coffee onto the lady fingers. Top with the remaining Marscapone, dust generously with cocoa powder, then top with the remaining raspberries. Sprinkle with remaining grated chocolate (I also added white chocolate chips here.)
  5. Chill at least three hours before serving.
Cooking lessons learned: Marscapone cheese takes on whatever flavor you add to it. It is also a very thick cheese, so I think next time I would let it warm up to room temp before I used it. Cold Marscapone is hard to spread in an even layer.  Also the lemon flavor was a little strong, so I would probably cut back on the lemon juice a little and maybe add another tablespoon of sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment