Friday, March 30, 2018

Hello from the Other Side of Chaos

Its been three weeks since I posted - so long in fact that I had to go back and check my previous post to see what in tarnation I had posted about because I just couldn't remember. 

First of all, for those who were wondering, the Smidget has some food allergies and we are working to get those things cleared up. We hope he will sleep better once we solve those problems and I suspect that these might have been the root cause of the aforementioned Hell Week. In the meantime, I haven't felt inclined to post because there has been very little of interest in the crafting world while we deal with these other Real Life (ugh) problems. I had to pull out my Cranky Mama Bear persona to get my pediatrician to test for food allergies, so my suggestion to all you parents out there is to stand your ground when something is wrong and insist on getting the right tests done.

I've determined that one of my crafty blocks is that I don't have anything going on right now that doesn't require some moderate-to-intense degree of concentration, so I dug out the Red Heart yarn that I had originally purchased to make a dragon scale blanket (wasn't happy with the result, scrapped after 1.5 skeins) and used it to start a continuous square blanket. The pattern is called Joy's Journey and is available for free on LookWhatIMade.


I'm using Red Heart Unforgettable Boutique in Stained Glass and I downsized to a 4.0 mm hook, because this yarn is generally thinner than the label would suggest. There are NO STEPS to this pattern, as it is stitched in one continuous round. All the increases are in the corners, making this pattern a no brainer and easy to pick up and put back down. I think I have somewhere between six and twelve skeins of this yarn so we'll see how big it gets. It tends to curl a bit and I wonder if three chains in the corner might serve better than the two in the pattern, so its something to consider should I ever repeat this pattern.

I wish you all a Happy Easter and a good Good Friday. This is the season of hope and new beginnings! Bring on spring.

5 comments:

  1. Your blanket start looks great Kaelyn. Love the yarn color. Glad to hear you might have solved the little one's sleeping promblems.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you being insistent on the allergy tests. And hopefully whatever he is allergic to, he will grow out of eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO glad that you listened to your Mama Bear instincts! Praying that all goes well! That blanket is going to be SO fun in that yarn...and yay for low intensity projects! I haven't tried that pattern myself, but I am working on another project from that site (Sophie's Universe is SO not a low concentration project!)...may have to give this one a try sometime! Hope you guys have a wonderful Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sophie got scrapped. Again, I wasn't happy with the yarn. I'll give it another whirl sometime but you are right, it's definitely not a low intensity project! Good luck with yours and happy Easter!

      Delete
  4. Hope that's the beginning of the end of Smidget's problems! Well done for sticking to your guns.

    ReplyDelete