Saturday, October 27, 2012

Quick Update & NaNoWriMo

By Kaelyn Angelfoot


I know I've been quiet for a couple weeks. A lot of this is due to the fact that I've been having a very hard time at work and I don't feel like doing much creatively when I come home. And this week, its due to NaNoWriMo, which is fast approaching.... only 5 days to go!

I participated in NaNoWriMo last year and loved it, but it will burn the majority of my free time in November. For those who do not know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, run by the non-profit organization, The Office of Letters and Light. The challege is to write a 50,000 word novel (must be fiction) in the month of November. No, you don't have to finish, polish, edit, or complete the story - you just write. And write. And write! Check out the website, there is a lot of great information and a highly supportive participant base.

This year I am working on a novel based in the Dark Ages of Europe featuring characters from Norse Mythology and located in Scandinavia. It has been very challenging, as this topic requires extensive research into things such as climate, agriculture, mythology, social structure, religion, vikings, barbarian invasions.... I could go on forever. I imagine I will spend more time researching this novel than actually writing it!

Back to the Crafty Moments... last week I did finish two projects: Penguin Curtains for my mother-in-law (for her penguin themed room) and another miniature practice quilt, bequeathed to my niece for her stuffed animals (although I hear she uses it as an interior decoration item!).



Cross two items off my extensive list, add several more! Our halloween party is tomorrow and I don't have a costume yet, so I know what I'll be doing all day. That alone should be worth another blog entry.

Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment