Saturday, January 6, 2018

Smidget's Temperature Blanket

Over the last few weeks, I've been putting a lot of thought and planning into the Smidget's temperature blanket. I choose the Summer Garden Granny Square by Attic24, inner color is low temp for the day, middle ring is high temp for the day, outer row is black.

The hardest part was figuring out a layout. This is what I came up with. Its 18 x 21 squares. The black squares separate the months and are at the beginning and the end for a total of 13 black squares. The first day is his birthday, meaning that September is split on the afghan.


I did the first few days as a test run and I'm pretty happy with how its turning out, although I was getting tired of the pink/yellow combination.


So I programmed Excel with conditional formatting based on the colors I had chosen, to give myself a preview of the upcoming color combinations and it really gets interesting once I get past the first week or so of September. We had some unusually warm day this September, it was actually quite pleasant of a fall.
 

There is no rush to get this done, so its been set aside until I finish a couple smaller crochet projects that I have in the works. I'm just really pleased to finally have it figured out.

There are a few more temperature blanket styles that I'd like to try out, so I am considering eventually making one for my birth year and one for Jack's, or maybe one for our anniversary year or something like that. There was one that had highs on one side and lows on the other with a sine wave pattern seperating the two and someone suggested that you could do that by finding the number of light and dark hours per day and making the ratio the same. Oooh so many good ideas...

3 comments:

  1. Yes! I'm over here cracking up and loving that you used an Excel spreadsheet to plan your crafting. That is so something that I would do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could take credit for the idea but I can't :) I'm going to plot my birth year and Jack's birth year soon too, to see how those look.

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea. It looks like a fun blanket to make.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete